These air fryer rice paper chicken nuggets are an excellent option for a mess-free, gluten-free alternative to the typical flour-coated fried nuggets. They’re easy to prepare, less greasy, and offer a delightful crunchiness.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- It has a satisfying crunch on the outside and a tender texture inside.
- It’s a healthier option since it doesn’t require deep-frying.
- It’s gluten-free, making it suitable for those with dietary restrictions.
- It’s easy to make and won’t create a mess in your kitchen.
- Chicken breast or chicken tenders
- Rice paper (specifically the type used for Fried Spring Rolls, which has a higher ratio of rice flour and a less transparent appearance compared to the type used for fresh summer rolls).
Rice Papers are a very versaltile ingredient so maybe you will like these recipes with rice papers:
- Seasonings: soy sauce, five-spice powder, chicken powder, sugar. I marinated my chicken with soy sauce and five-spice powder for an Asian-inspired flavor, but feel free to adjust the seasonings based on your personal taste preferences.
- Cooking oil (for greasing)
- Begin by dicing your chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken with soy sauce, five-spice powder, chicken powder, and sugar for 30 minutes.
- Take each rice paper sheet and cut it in half or into 3 pieces, depending on the size of your rice paper.
- Dip a piece of rice paper into a bowl of water, ensuring both sides get wet. Place it on a plate and let it rest for 2-3 minutes or until the sheet becomes soft, stretchy, and transparent.
- Put a piece of marinated chicken on the lower third of the rice paper, then fold the bottom edge over it. Fold the sides towards the middle, and continue rolling up the chicken until it is fully enclosed by the rice paper.
- Use a brush or oil spray to lightly grease the chicken rolls with oil.
- Preheat your air fryer to 204°C (400°F) for 5 minutes.
- Carefully place the nugget rolls in the air fryer basket. Air fry them for 8 minutes, then flip the chicken rolls and air fry for an additional 3 minutes or until the nuggets turn golden and crispy
🌟 Helpful Tips
- For golden colored nuggets, consider adding 1 tablespoon of molasses or honey to your soaking water when preparing the rice paper sheets.
- Before air frying, allow the marinated chicken to come to room temperature by letting it sit for 20 minutes. This helps ensure even cooking and a tender texture.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any others from my blog, please share your creations with me on Instagram by tagging #savour_thepho or mentioning me in your stories with @savour_thepho . I would be thrilled to see what you’ve made and it would definitely brighten my day! Don’t forget to stay in touch with me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube 🥰.
Easy, No-mess Air Fryer Rice Paper Chicken Nuggets
- 1 Air fryer
- 1 mixing bowl
- 0.6 lb chicken breast or chicken tender (270g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp chicken powder
- ½ tbsp sugar
- Rice Paper (type for fried spring rolls)
- Cooking oil
- Cutting chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken with soy sauce, five-spice powder, chicken powder, and sugar for around 30 minutes.
- Cut the rice paper sheets in half or thirds, depending on their size.
- Dip a piece of rice paper into a bowl of water, ensuring both sides are wet. Allow it to rest on a plate for 2-3 minutes until it becomes soft, stretchy, and transparent.
- Place a piece of marinated chicken on the lower third of the rice paper. Fold the bottom edge over the chicken, then fold the sides towards the middle. Roll up the chicken until it is fully enclosed in the rice paper.
- Lightly coat the chicken rolls with oil using a brush or oil spray.
- Preheat the air fryer to 204°C (400°F) for 5 -10 minutes.
- Carefully place the nugget rolls in the air fryer basket. Air fry them for 8 minutes, then flip the chicken rolls. Continue air frying for an additional 3 minutes or until the nuggets become golden and crispy.