As a Milk tea addict and Earl Grey lover, this Caramel Milk Tea is my go-to comfort drink, and the best part is, it’s incredibly simple to make.
Earl Grey tea is renowned for its delightful blend of floral, citrusy, and subtly sweet notes, derived from the tea leaves and infused with bergamot oil. When brewed, the aroma could fill the room with a delightful and invigorating scent.
This recipe combines the fragrant and bold taste of Earl Grey tea with a rich, creamy, caramel-flavored sweet milk to create a unique and refreshing drink. If you’re a fan of Taiwanese milk tea, you’re in for a treat with this Earl Grey Caramel Milk Tea recipe.
❤️ Why you’ll love this Caramel Milk Tea
- Perfect balance of sweetness and creaminess: The combination of black sugar and milk creates a rich and creamy base for this drink, while the Earl Grey black tea adds a subtle bitterness that balances out the sweetness.
- Easy to make: it’s only 4 ingredients – Earl Grey tea, black sugar, full cream milk, water and takes you just 15 minutes to prepare.
- Healthier than store-bought milk tea: When you make your own milk tea at home, you have control over the ingredients you use. This recipe uses black sugar and milk, which are both lower in calories than the processed sugar and cream used in many store-bought options. Plus, you can use low-fat or non-dairy milk alternatives to make it even healthier.
- Fresher and more flavorful: you can ensure that your milk tea is freshly made. When you make your own at home, you can rest assured that there are no unnecessary additives in your drink.
- Customizable: You can adjust the amount of black sugar and milk to your liking. You can also experiment with different types of tea such as jasmine tea or oolong tea. If you want a lighter drink or you are a vegan, you can use low-fat milk or non-dairy milk alternatives.
- Earl Grey Tea: Earl Grey tea is the perfect base for caramel milk tea, as it has a light, floral flavor that complements the sweet caramel flavour of black sugar. Only loose tea works here because you will quickly stir the tea with black sugar to enhance the flavour of tea and create the caramel flavor.
- Boiled Water: It’s important to use freshly boiled water to steep your Earl Grey tea. This will ensure that your tea has a strong and robust flavor. Simply boil water in a kettle or on the stove and let it cool for a few minutes before pouring it over your tea.
- Full-Cream Milk: Full-cream milk is essential for creating the creamy texture of caramel milk tea. You can use regular dairy milk or non-dairy milk alternatives if you prefer.
- Black Sugar: This recipe I don’t use caramel sauce but I use black sugar to give the drink its signature sweetness and caramel flavor. You can find black sugar at most Asian grocery stores, or you can substitute it with brown sugar if you can’t find black sugar.
- Ice (optional): I do love iced milk tea, so I add some ice to my caramel milk tea to make it a refreshing summer treat.
- Boba Pearls (optional): If you’re a fan of boba tea, you can add boba pearls to your caramel milk tea for an extra burst of flavor and texture. You can find boba pearls at most Asian grocery stores, or you can make your own at home with tapioca flour.
- Stir Earl Grey Tea and Black Sugar: In a small pot or saucepan, stir together Earl Grey tea and black sugar until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Steep the Tea: Add boiled water to the pot and let the tea steep for 3-5 minutes, or until the tea is fragrant and strong.
- Pour Your Favorite Milk: Add your favorite full-cream milk to the tea, stirring gently to combine.
- Strain the Tea: Strain the tea into a cup or pitcher, using a fine mesh strainer to remove any tea pulp or leaves.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve your Earl Grey caramel milk tea with boba pearl, hot or over ice depending on your preference.
🌟 Helpful Tips
- Customize the sweetness and the creaminess: Adjust the amount of sugar to your liking. For a creamier tea, you can substitute a part of milk with heavy cream or evarporated milk, or use half-and-half instead of milk.
- Experiment with milk alternatives: If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer plant-based options, feel free to substitute full-cream milk with almond, soy, or oat milk.
- Use high-quality tea: The quality of the tea you use can make a big difference in the flavor of your drink. Choose a high-quality loose-leaf Earl Grey tea for the best taste.
- Add more texture with toppings: If you want more texture and flavor, try adding other toppings like tap pearls, pudding, jelly, or fruit to your drink. Or you can top your Caramel Milk Tea with a layer of sea salt cream froth or cream cheese foam for an extra indulgent treat.
- Cook boba pearls correctly (if you incorporate boba pearls into your drink): Overcooked or undercooked boba pearls can ruin the texture of your drink. Be sure to follow the instructions on the package and cook the boba pearls to the perfect chewiness.
Caramel milk tea is best served fresh, but if you have leftover tea, you could leave the tea cool down to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container.
You can store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. When you’re ready to enjoy your leftover tea, you could drink it directly from the fridge or simply reheat it in a saucepan over low heat.
Don’t microwave it, as it can affect the flavor and texture of the tea.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any others from my blog, please share your creations with me on Instagram by tagging #savour_thepho or mentioning me in your stories with @savour_thepho. I would be thrilled to see what you’ve made and it would definitely brighten my day! Don’t forget to stay in touch with me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube 🥰.
15-minute Caramel Milk Tea with Earl Grey
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Strainer
- 5 tbsp Earl Grey Tea
- ½ cup Black Sugar (packed) (100g)
- 1.2 cup Boiled Water (300ml)
- 1.7 cup Full Cream Milk (400ml)
- Combine Earl Grey tea and black sugar in a small pot or saucepan, stirring until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Pour boiled water into the pot and allow the tea to steep for 3-5 minutes, or until it becomes fragrant.
- Gently incorporate your preferred full-cream milk into the tea, stirring gently to blend the flavors.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the tea into a cup or pitcher, ensuring any tea pulp or leaves are removed.
- Serve your delightful Earl Grey caramel milk tea with boba pearls, either hot or over ice according to your preference.