Vietnamese Avocado Chicken Rice Paper Rolls (Gỏi Cuốn Gà) – an easy and wholesome addition to your diet. Packed with chicken, abundant veggies (with Avocado taking the spotlight), and served with delightful dipping sauces, I promise these compact rolls are sure to capture your heart.
The highlight? Making these refreshing spring rolls requires under 20 minutes and it’s a great solution for using up any leftover chicken in your fridge. Ideal for summer, particularly during bustling weeknights.
Vietnamese Chicken Summer Rolls
For those who keep up with my blog, you might be familiar with my unwavering fondness for rice papers. Being Vietnamese, we possess the knack for wrapping up just about anything with these delicate sheets.
On my blog, I’ve shared Vietnamese classics embracing rice papers, like Gỏi Cuốn (Vietnamese shrimp & pork rice paper rolls) and Bò Bía (Vietnamese spring rolls with Chinese sausages)
This Gỏi Cuốn Gà (Vietnamese Chicken Spring Rolls) is kind of a fusion. In Vietnam, we don’t typically include avocado in Gỏi Cuốn, as avocado is often associated with sweetness and desserts.
However, as a devoted fan of California Rolls (by the way, traditional Japanese maki rolls don’t have avocado either lol), I’ve recently discovered that avocado pairs exceptionally well with savory dishes.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe?
Light and Refreshing: Vietnamese rice paper rolls (also known as salad rolls, summer rolls, or fresh spring rolls) have earned their reputation as a light and invigorating snack.
Stuffed with vermicelli noodles, protein, vegetables, and fresh herbs, these rice paper rolls craft a nourishing and wholesome meal.
Savvy Leftover Solution: While my summer rolls feature honey garlic chicken breast , any variety of cooked chicken, like my Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken or Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken, can be equally delightful.
And guess what? It’s an ingenious way to utilize leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey post grand celebrations like Christmas or Thanksgiving.
Creating and Savoring Together: Crafting salad rolls turns into a joyful family activity right at the dining table. Simply assemble the spring rolls, dip them in sauce, and enjoy together.
Dips that Perfect the Bite: Let me emphasize how pivotal dipping sauces are for remarkable spring rolls. While you can use leftover chicken, a superb dipping sauce is non-negotiable.
🛒 Ingredients for Chicken Rice Paper Rolls
Making these Vietnamese chicken summer rolls calls for the following essentials:
Rice Papers: Opt for the ones made from both rice flour and tapioca . Varieties made solely from 100% rice tend to be too firm and are better suited for fried spring rolls. On the other hand, those made purely from tapioca lack the distinctive rice flavor (calling them “rice papers” might not be accurate, right?).
Rice noodles: you will need to use thin vermicelli rice noodles. These noodles are gluten-free and readily available at Asian grocery stores. Skip them if you follow a Keto or Low carb diet.
Chicken: Feel free to utilize any leftover cooked chicken available to you. Personally, I use Honey Garlic Chicken breast for this recipe.
Numerous chicken recipes on my blog seamlessly align with this dish (my particular favorite: Gà Nướng Xả – Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken). Leftover rotisserie chicken, roast chicken, or even easy-peasy poached chicken are also excellent options to consider.
Chicken recipes that go amazing with rice paper rolls:
Vegetables: Rice rolls can be filled with almost any kinds of veggies. Just use the ones available in your fridge (don’t forget avocado, it’s the star here). In addition to julienned carrots and cucumbers, mung bean sprouts, lettuce, and red peppers also work just fine.
Herbs: Don’t forget to incorporate some herbs for a well-rounded flavor in your rice paper rolls. Just a touch of mint, Chinese chives or Thai basil could make a big difference.
Dipping sauces: As I’ve mentioned, a stellar dipping sauce is non-negotiable. Hosin Peanut Sauce, Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce, Japanese Sesame Sauce, all will work well. Easy and Tasty dipping sauces for Chicken Summer Rolls:
Prepare the fillings:
- Cook the vermicelli rice noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse with water to remove any starch, and drain them well.
- Peel the avocado, remove the seed, quarter and slice it lengthwise.
- Slice the red pepper into strips.
- Cut the carrots into matchsticks.
- Wash, drain, and shred the lettuce.
- Ensure that other veggies and herbs are thoroughly washed and drained.
Prepare your favorite dipping sauces.
Assemble Gỏi Cuốn Gà (Vietnamese chicken rice paper rolls):
- Soften the rice papers: Fill a large shallow bowl with room-temperature water (no warm water here, folks). Take one rice paper at a time and quickly dip it into the water for 3-5 seconds. Shake off any excess water. Place the rice paper onto a dry flat surface with the glossy side facing down.
- Make a layer of lettuce on the bottom third of the rice paper. Arrange rice noodles, herbs, chicken, and veggies on top. Place some slices of avocado onto the opposite end of the rice paper to make them more visible and appetizing.
- Fold the sides inward toward the center. Then, fold the bottom edge of the rice paper over the filling. Roll the rice paper tightly to seal the filling inside.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make more spring rolls.
Enjoy the chicken spring rolls with your favorite dipping sauce.
🌟 Helpful Tips
- Drain all the fillings well, particularly the vegetables. The water released from the fillings could cause your rolls to become soggy after a while.
- Avoid overloading the filling in your rolls, especially if you are new to rolling rice paper.
- Find additional tips for storing fresh rice paper rolls and preventing them from sticking to each other here.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any others from my blog, please share your creations with me on Instagram by tagging #savour_thepho or mentioning me in your stories with @savour_thepho. I would be thrilled to see what you’ve made and it would definitely brighten my day! Don’t forget to stay in touch with me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube 🥰.
Vietnamese Chicken Summer Rolls (Gỏi Cuốn Gà)
- 1 Large bowl of water
- 1 Large plate
- 5 rice papers
- 1 cup cooked chicken (150g)
- 2 oz Thin rice vermicelli (60g)
- Assortment of vegetables and herb (lettuce, bean sprouts, red pepper, Thai basils, garlic chives, mint, etc.)
- 1 Avocado
- Dipping Sauce (Hoisin Peanut Sauce, Vietnamese dipping fish sauce, Japanese Sesame Sauce)
Prepare the fillings:
- Cook vermicelli rice noodles following package instructions. Rinse with water to remove any starch, drain well.
- Peel, seed, then quarter, and lengthwise slice the avocados.
- Slice red pepper into strips.
- Cut carrots into matchsticks.
- Wash, drain, then shred lettuce.
- Wash and drain other veggies and herbs.
Prepare dipping sauce.
- Soften the rice papers: Fill a broad, shallow bowl with room-temperature water (avoid warm water). Dip one rice paper into the water for 3-5 seconds, then remove and gently shake off excess water. Place the rice paper on a dry surface with the glossy side facing down.
- Create a lettuce layer on the bottom third of the rice paper. Arrange rice noodles, herbs, chicken, and veggies on top. Place avocado slices on the opposite end for visual appeal. (Check the image guidance above)
- Fold the sides inward toward the center, then fold the bottom edge of the rice paper over the filling. Roll the rice paper tightly to enclose the filling. (Check the image guidance above)
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to craft more spring rolls.